There was a time when you need to learn some basic CSS and HTML coding to create a website. Now the things have changed, with the help of CMS (Content management system) softwares like Joomla, Drupal and WordPress, you can easily build a self-hosted website or blog yourself within minutes. Yes, minutes!
Best thing about WordPress is, you can build any type of Blog or Website without writing a single line of code. Yes, that easy it is! That’s why everyone is attracted to WordPress. If you’re new to these terms, don’t worry; these things might sound little technical, but actually it is way too easier than you think.
Beginner’s Guide to Start a Self-hosted WordPress Blog
Today I’ll explain the step-by-step guide to create a self-hosted WordPress Website/Blog. Just follow the below steps carefully.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is a CMS (Content Management System) that allows you to create and run any type of website or blog easily. You don’t have to worry about any coding stuffs, you can easily customize and design your WordPress site as you like.
Let’s get Started
This guide is about creating a Self-hosted WordPress (wordpress.org), not to be confused with WordPress.com. There are many advantages of creating a self-hosted WordPress blog than using a free blog platform like Blogspot.com or WordPress.com. In this guide, I’ll provide step-by-step tutorials for creating and managing a Self-hosted WordPress blog.
- How to Get your own Domain Name
- How to get Web Hosting Space
- How to Install WordPress
- Things to do after Installing WordPress
- Choosing WordPress Themes
- Installing WordPress Plugins
- How to Secure your WordPress Blog
- WordPress SEO
How to Get your own Domain Name
Domain name is the important part of your website; it should represent your brand. For example, PassiveBlogTips.com is my domain name. When a visitor type this domain name on his browser, he’ll find my site. Once you pick your domain name, you need to register it; for this I suggest you to use GoDaddy or NameCheap. While Registering a domain name, it’s important to consider many things, read the below post to know more.
How to get Web Hosting
Once you resister your domain name, you’ll need to buy a web hosting space to host your site contents so that people can access your site through Web. I recommend Hostgator and Bluehost for web hosting as they provide quality service at affordable price. You can read my Hostgator review and Bluehost review before buying. It’s always wise to choose a good quality and reliable web hosting for you website, read the below posts before buying.
- Why You Should Never Choose a Cheap Web Hosting
- 10 Best Managed WordPress Hosting Companies
- Top Web Hosting Companies for Shared Hosting
- How to Buy Hostgator Web Hosting
How to Install WordPress
Once you brought your domain name and hosting, you need to install WordPress software on your hosting cPanel. Many popular Hosting providers offer One-Click WordPress installation, with this you can install WordPress within minutes. Once you Install WordPress on your domain, your site will be live.
- How to Install WordPress on Hostgator Web Hosting
- How to Link Godaddy Domain Name with Hostgator Hosting
After Installing WordPress
Choosing WordPress Themes
There are millions of Free WordPress themes on WordPress themes directory, but it’s recommended to use Premium WordPress themes. Premium WordPress themes gives more security and stability for your WordPress site. With Premium WordPress themes, you can covert your blog into any kind of sites like; eCommerce, Magazine, Music, Sport, News site, Portfolio, Medical, Photography, Real Estate, Restaurant, etc. You can also use some WYSIWYG Visual Editor WordPress Plugins to design your blog the way you like.
- 7 Best Places to Buy Premium WordPress Themes
- 6 Best SEO Friendly WordPress Themes
- 7 Best Google Adsense Ready WordPress Themes
- Best eCommerce Ready WordPress Themes
- Best WordPress Theme Frameworks
Recommended Premium WordPress Themes Providers:
- MyThemeShop (use this coupon: LimitedOffer to get 15% discount)
- Studiopress (Genesis Framework Review: The Best Theme for WordPress sites)
- Elegant themes
Installing WordPress Plugins
One of the best thing about WordPress is its Plugins. With Plugins, you can add varies features and functions for your website without touching any codes. You can find millions of free plugins from WordPress Plugin Directory. You Just need to Install and Configure the plugins. Here are some list of Important plugins to Install on your WordPress blog:
- Author hReview
- Broken Link Checker
- BulletProof Security
- Digg Digg
- Google XML Sitemaps
- Magic Action Box
- Pretty Link Lite (To cloak Affiliate Link)
- W3 Total Cache
- Wordfence Security
- WordPress Popular Posts
- WordPress SEO
- WP Smush.it (To Reduce Image Sizes)
Some Recommended Premium WordPress Plugins:
Securing your WordPress Blog
When it comes to security, WordPress sites are the first choice for hackers. There are many bad guys who constantly try to take down your WordPress site by using automated and manual hacking techniques. So it’s wise to take care of your WordPress Blog’s security. I always recommend you to take regular backup of your blog. Here are some posts on WordPress Security.
- Secure Your WordPress Blog With These Security Plugins
- Secure and Speed Up your Site with Free CloudFlare CDN
- Authy for WordPress : Google Authenticator Alternative plugin
Even though WordPress is a very good platform for SEO, without SEO plugins it’s incomplete. There are many SEO plugins but WordPress SEO by Yoast is one the best and recommended SEO plugin. If you’re new to terms like SEO; don’t worry. Below are some important posts on SEO and its Plugins.
- 5 Best SEO Plugins for WordPress
- SEOPressor Review: Best Premium On-Page SEO Plugin
- Basic SEO Mistakes to Avoid for a Long-Term Success
- 4 Simple Ways to Avoid Your Site Getting Penalized by Google
- Free Tools to Check Google Keyword Rankings
- WordPress Plugins to Show Star Rating in Google Search Results
Some Blogging Tips and Tutorials
After Setting up your WordPress Blog, you can right-away start publishing your posts or articles. If you’re new to Blogging and Wondering how to start with, don’t worry. Here are some Blogging Tips and tutorials to start your Blogging Journey.
- 6 Essential Tips For Successful Copywriting
- 4 Effective Ways To Produce Enchanting Content Without Effort
- The Ultimate Guide to Getting Started with Guest Blogging
- Starting a New Blog? Consider These Blogging Strategies
- How To Increase Your Blog’s Traffic Without Getting Broke
- Blogging Communities to Promote and Drive Traffic to your Site
- Top Affiliate Marketing Programs for Bloggers
Final Words. . .
Creating a self-hosted website/blog is not that difficult, it only takes few minutes. I hope this guide on how to Start a Self-hosted WordPress Website/Blog is helpful. If you found this Beginners Guide to Start a Self hosted WordPress Blog is useful, please help me by sharing this post on social networks.